Friday, May 4, 2012

Episode 1

I looked at the golden letters on the glass of the door - Jake Hill, Private Investigation - This cemented the knowledge that I have the worse luck of any living human being on this planet. Two thousand dollars that I can't afford and they couldn't even get it right.

'I'm sorry, Mr Hill,' said the incompetent signage worker. 'The earliest we can fix the spelling is Tuesday fortnight.'

I shut the door and locked it. A quick glance at my watch confirmed that I am, yet again, late. I had promised to walk my neighbour's dog tonight. Evidently the little monster had a ritual and being late means a mess.

***

Moggs, the feral little biter, lived up to the hype. It took me an additional 40 minutes to clean up the dog poo, what was once a potted plant, and a pillow from the bed.

It was well past dark when I headed home and I was elated to stumble into my door as I unlocked it. As I stepped through, I felt my feet slip out from under me in the gloom of the doorway. I sailed through the air and collided with the floor. My last thought - How can this day get any worse? - then blackness.

No comments:

Post a Comment